Friday, September 3, 2010

Mascaras !!!

A Mascara is a cosmetic used to darken, colour, thicken, lengthen, or define eyelashes. So I have put a few to the ultimate test.

A while back some one had asked me to please give her some feedback on mascaras so what follows is my most honest opinion.  

Are some drugstore brand better than the most higher end brands?? watch out MAC and UD! Here we go.............

I will begin with some drug store brands and work my way up to the high end cosmetics.

 The MAX Volume Flash Waterproof Mascara
 It Claims and I quote, "Exclusive 'Lash Expand’ formula with collagen thickens lashes, while keratin helps to make them stronger, sleeker and shinier. This mascara features our BIGGEST BRUSH EVER with unique ‘Perfect Fit’ technology for perfect loading of each lash. Combined with a quick setting formula that dries in a flash, there isn't a clump in sight. Lashes are pumped to 14X more volume. Go from skinny to fat in 10 SECONDS FLAT."

I was not impressed at all, this mascara is supposed to be water proof yet it would smear on some of the hottest (and Humid) days when it should of stayed in place with out smearing.  I did not notice any difference in volume, although I would always curl my lashes before and after the mascara, they never seemed as though I curled them, they would remain completely flat.  I used it one time without the my eyelash curler and I think it worked a bit better, but then again they looked the same way my eyelashes looked before putting on mascara.  The brush was the only thing I liked from this mascara, yet, the actual product seemed to weight my lashes down.  
Would I recommend?  Not this time.


Maybelline's XXL Pro Curl Waterproof


 This product claims  the following information:
  • Step 1: Curls to a 30° angle
  • Step 2: Provides 12-hour hold
  • Waterproof; also available in Washable
  • Contact lens safe
  • Ophthalmologist Tested 
This is one that I truly loved ! I give it a super high rating!! I love the fact that is a two step system, the first primes and lengthens your lashes and then the second, you place a top coat of product.  I completely love this mascara, one of those few that I have been waiting for and can be purchased at a drugstore !!   I can even use this mascara without curling my lashes !! and they look beautiful!! now when I do curl my lashes people think I am wearing a strip of lashes.  
Would I recommend? Yes ! definitely try this one out, I think you will be very pleased with your purchase and all for less than $10, what more can you ask for??


Now let me review another brand of mascara that was purchased online from a makeup line called Medusa's Makeup.  I will be doing a detailed review on this line of cosmetics, which although the prices are descent, not all of their products have great pay out.


Medusa's Makeup Mascara



4 amazing "electric" mascara
Black Magic               Blue Blood                   Majestic                    Envy

Obviously this is not your every day mascara (apart from the black magic shade) but this is a good touch for a fun look you may want to try out.  I used the Majestic mascara a few times on different clients, and the pay out was reasonable, yet they did report color fading after a few hours.  By itself you will not really find a big difference on your lashes other than the color.  You will need to curl your lashes with this item.
Would I recommend? this is not a hurry-up-and-get-deal, you can wait a while for this product, if in fact you would like to try it.



Now to my high end cosmetics.... 

Lets begin with the one I didn't like, MAC's Zoom Lash Mascara, since you read my review from the Rimmel mascara, I can say it is the same exact thing!  

 Zoom Lash

MAC's website claims that its major drama, will last all day, creamy ............... Did not look dramatic, did not hold on well, even after having the lashes curled, runs and smears easily (not water proof) and although you think you took it off well before going to bed, don't be surprised if you wake up in the morning and find your self with dark circles under your eyes.
Will I buy again? not in a million years!

Finally to the high end mascara's I recommend....

MAC's Splashproof Lash, the site claims " Waterproof. Thickens and lengthens. Made for sports and high emotions. Delivers natural-looking definition in one coat. Keeps lashes silky, soft, flexible. Brush tapers to evenly coat each lash, even at the inner corner of the eye. Smudge resistant".  

 Splashproof Lash
I agree, this mascara is so good ! I loved the way my lashes look, of course, after curling them and placing a second coat.  The only thing that I did notice is that, again, you may think you did a fabulous job taking off the mascara, come to find out the following morning that you have dark circles under your eyes.  Would I recommend for purchase? Sure !! Try it out.

Finally !!! one of my Favorites, which I ran out a while back and replaced it with the XXL Pro Curl by Maybelline, but will be buying again.....

Urban Decay's Skyscraper Multi-Benefit Mascara
Skyscraper Multi-Benefit Mascara


Our Love It or Leave It GUARANTEE
UD's Site Claims "Reach new heights with our drastically improved, six-in-one Skyscraper Mascara. Our innovative formula will lengthen, strengthen, separate, curl, brighten and thicken your lashes without even a hint of clumping or flaking. The state-of-the-art, new generation brush features a flexible shaft and multiple rows of tapered bristles to comb through lashes from root to tip. Skyscraper gives you that “come hither” look that gets ‘em every time

And don’t even think about sacrificing the well being of your delicate lashes to a harsh product. Not a chance! The multi-benefit formula actually nourishes lashes. Luxe ingredients like Panthenol and vegetal ceramids condition and strengthen. Silk protein protects, and Vitamins C and E serve as powerful antioxidants. Filming agents even encourage a gentle curling. Lashes are long, strong, and feather-soft

The velvety soft-touch tube might be the sexiest of all: jet black and wrapped in a hand-drawn, purple foil design, you’ll love to pull this beauty out of your makeup bag." 


Yes, it does that and more, the brush is very flexible that you can get so close to the root and get all the little lashes in the inner corners!! I do love this mascara! but the only downfall is the price, this is pricey! retail price of $22.  I know its a bit pricey but this one I will be buying very soon!  On the up again, UD does offer a Love it or Leave it guarantee, so if you don't like it, just send it back ;)

Okay, so this is my review of the few mascara's that I currently own, all less than 3 months old!  please replace your Mascara regularly to prevent eye infections and some other yucky things...

I hope you all enjoyed my reviews, again, all of these items were purchased by me, none were given to me to promote.  Try them out and let me know what you think!  I apologize for the length, spelling & grammar and punctuation, it is almost 1 am...  until the next time!
 Besos, 

No comments:

Post a Comment